The House that Whiskey built

I know I should be scratch building all my scenery but ever since I first saw the new 4ground fantasy houses I had promised myself a load. When this daft witch craft project reared it's head I decided they'd be perfect! Secretly the real reason I wanted some was to see how they are built! I'm a bit of a tech nerd, as I'm sure you already know, and I'm fascinated by the design of these wee dwellings. 



This one is a two storey house and the kit gives you the option for different panelling for the lower floor. I went for the two tone option. If I decide to buy more I can always go for the full cream.

The floors are removable and the front door even works! The window sections are separate and amazingly delicate. It's amazing what you can get away with in MDF.

You can see the detail in the floor and the  walls, all the interiors are detailed and the panelling has to be glued in individually which is a bit of a faff but to be fair does look nice.

And this is what's left over. You can see the instructions to the right of the picture, pretty detailed but the pictures can be a bit wee and you kind of have to study it quite closely. The whole kit fits together perfectly, I really can't fault it. Great stuff, I've got another 4 to build. Thank god PVA is water soluble!

Comments

  1. 4Ground make wonderful stuff. Though you may find some cheaper options, their scenery totally rocks and I think they are one of the best in bussiness; this building just reinforces the idea I had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for that review.
    I've been looking something suitable for Mordheim for a while, looks like there's no need to search anymore =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've just released a pack of damaged houses that would be perfect for Mordheim

      Delete
  3. Thank you, that has really helped with a buying decision!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like 4ground stuff and these nice fantasy buildings are no exception. But and it is a big but I cannot get on with their roofs. The tiles look too big and too square and the tabs that keep the roof on wreck the overall look. Tiling a roof on a scratch build is the hard part and that would be the main reason for me to buy a kit.

    Sorry to be negative. The rest of the house looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's fair comment Erny, and I'd agree with you to a point. It's not enough to put me off buying them but it certainly appears to be the least sophisticated part of the kit. It's not beyond their ability to sort either. The panelling that goes between the wooden beams is cut from very thin mdf, possibly 0.8mm. A sheet of that with tiles cut in one edge and arranged in strips could be layered to give a more 3d and realistic finish. However this would add cost to the kit, which are already fairly expensive and would be pretty fiddly for folk to do. I'm sure they considered it, and like I said, it doesn't put me off.

      Delete
    2. I guess I'll see them soon. If they are as nice as I expect I may end up getting some and covering the roof with card tiles.

      Delete
  5. Love 'em I may need to pick some up myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Pictures and a very nice review, Thanks !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment